Friday, June 29, 2007

Jobs, Jobs, Jobs

Updated on 6/29/2007 at 12:46 a.m. to reflect another interview change.

On Monday, I spoke with a recruiter down in the Music City who had set me up with an interview for a government contract position down there last spring. For that lead, they nixed me on the lack of SQL knowledge.

She was back to see if I would be interested in another position in her neighborhood. It turned out to be the contract-to-hire position for the radio airplay monitoring software.

You might recall I wound up canceling the face-to-face interview for that lead once I got the original offer from the Online Payment Subsidiary. I guess they still haven't been able to find any Linux/C++ gurus down there, and they've decided to sweeten the deal with relocation assistance.

I told her that I had done phone interviews for the position back in April through another agency, so I might not be eligible to work with her. I told her she had my permission to vet my resume to see if they would take me, but I don't think they will.

On Tuesday, the Local Startup in the Upscale Mall withdrew its offer, but the wording was such that it left open the possibility future positions. Consider that more of a drawbridge up situation rather than burnt to a crisp.

On Wednesday evening, I had a conversation with a local recruiter who was pimping openings at the Local Growing Network Telephony Software Company, which happens to be the same company that gave me a rejection late last year.

I told her about my prior experiences with a different recruiter for the same company, just to make it clear that they might not consider my resume. I then said that if she wanted to put my name in, she was free to do so.

They haven't given me the time of day over the past two years, I have no reason to believe that they would do so now. As far as I'm concerned, this is not going anywhere.

Also since Tuesday, I have exchanged several e-mails with someone at the Online Payment Subsidiary's HR department. We've been trying to nail down a time to do an interview with the department that has an opening in the Silicon Valley office. This group wanted to do a video conference interview, meaning I'd have to get my tail over to one of those 24-hour copy centers that everyone knows and loves.

I gave them a list of times on Tuesday. I got back a reply this afternoon asking about two possible times on Friday. I responded quickly, indicated a preference for the later time. They responded in the early evening, saying that the earlier time would be better. Then I got an e-mail with the video conference reservation. Then I got an e-mail and a voice mail saying that the person couldn't do the video conference and would just do it by phone at a later time in the day.

I responded both by e-mail and phone, letting them know I got the messages and that the time would work just fine. It'll make for a somewhat late lunch, but I'll just be glad to be through this one last hoop. Unless the interviewer is just a complete jerk, I am going to take this offer.

UPDATE: The guy at the Online Payment Subsidiary with whom I would be doing the interview on Friday just e-mailed me to let me know that the time that I agreed on won't work now. So it will either be later on in the afternoon on Friday or possibly a half hour after my joint counseling session on Monday (yech). I expressed a preference for the Friday afternoon time, but I'm making myself as flexible as possible.
blog comments powered by Disqus